I like coding and to build products, games and large systems. I understand security and I love testing new products and systems. I’m okay with being a small cog in a much larger wheel. I like to put headphones in and zone out, and I have always had a passion for tech and software. I’m a Software Engineer.
Time 2 – 5 weeks online
Date Available now
Cost Free for veterans
TYPE OF VETERAN REQUIRED
Anyone can code. This career pathway is very well suited to veterans with any engineering, IT, science or mathematics background and has a strong interest in software. It will take 2-3 years to be at the standard of a typical Software Engineer, but you can work after learning your first language as a stack developer.
Potential Income: $90,000 – $180,000
Job Stability: High
Barriers to Entry: Low
Current Employability: High
Future Employability: Very High
Titles: Software Engineer or Stack Developer
Companies: All technology and banking organisations.
Software Engineers are the true jack-of-all-trades within IT and are often required to design software products, edit content, test products and maintain the software once it has been built. Software Engineers tend to specialise in a few areas of development, such as networks, operating systems, databases or applications. Each area requires fluency in its own set of computer languages and development environments.
A skilled Software Engineer will have the following skill sets:
– The ability to understand software production requirements and apply software engineering principals to building products.
– The capablity to learn large volumes of information quickly and the ability to apply the information within practical settings.
– The ability to identify and troubleshoot problems, and provide fast and practical solutions.
We up-skill for free to bridge skills gaps, so chat to a WithYouWithMe career consultant if you are unsure about anything listed here.
- A degree in Computer Science, or similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience in coding.
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages.
- Experience working with two or more from the following: web application development, Unix/Linux environments, mobile application development, distributed and parallel systems, machine learning, information retrieval, natural language processing, networking, developing large software systems, and/or security software development.
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English.
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed.
- Experience is also generally sought in experience working with legacy systems and enterprise CRM, ERP and BI solutions as well as middleware services.